In less than three weeks, the La Costa Film Festival will be in full swing, filled with four days of screenings, panels, and exceptionally elegant events.
A lot goes into creating such a star-studded event – and like with any major production, there are bound to be some bloopers! Here are some exclusive “behind the scenes”fun-facts you may or may not know about the La Costa Film Festival.
1. The La Costa Film Festival is the first festival that Cinépolis Luxury Cinemas, the fourth largest movie theater in the world, has ever sponsored.
2. The La Costa Resort & Spa (aka Omni Resort & Spa) used to have a dinner theater where Frank Sinatra and the Rat Pack performed, but it is now occupied by Diversions and the Athletic Center.
3. In our first year, Andy Garcia personally provided the backup copy of our closing night film after our server malfunctioned.
4. Speaking of Andy Garcia, we’ve had a Cuban connection since our inception: In year one, Cuban-born actor, Andy Garcia; year two, the film Brothers in Exile, about Cuban baseball players who made it to MLB, won our best film award in the Sports Competition; and this year, Humberto, a documentary about a legendary Cuban filmmaker, by a Cuban filmmaker who now resides in Los Angeles, CA.
5. The Festival’s PR company, Quartararo & Associates (Q&A), is owned by the Co-Founder of the Newport Beach Film Festival.
6. The outdoor Center Court venue at the Omni La Costa Resort & Spa – where the opening night movie is screened – has a 30×17 foot screen, state-of-the-art sound system, and seats over 1,000 people.
7. The La Costa Film Festival has zero employees! It’s only made possible by a passionate army of volunteers.
8. On a scale of 1-5, festival attendees have rated all of the movies screened at the festival an average of 4.
9. The event venues at the Opening Night Gala and La Costa Honors Gala didn’t exist before the Festival began.
10. The very first movie screened at the festival was The Short Game, a documentary directed by Josh Greenbaum and executively produced by Justin Timberlake and Jessica Biel.
Don’t forget to buy your ticket for the festival here.